[Python-Dev] Created branch for PEP 302 phase 2 work (in C)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Oct 3 00:48:16 CEST 2006

On 10/2/06, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/2/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > I'm surprised, however, that you think working on this in C is going to
> be
> > *less* time than it would take to simply replace __import__ with a
> Python
> > function that reimplements PEP 302...
>
> That I do agree with. There's a bootstrapping issue (you can't import
> the Python module that does all this without using a C-coded import
> mechanism) but that should be resolvable.

This is why I asked for input from people on which would take less time.
Almost all the answers I got was that the the C code was delicate but that
it was workable.  Several people said they wished for a Python
implementation, but hardly anyone said flat-out, "don't waste your time, the
Python version will be faster to do".

As for the bootstrapping, I am sure it is resolvable as well.  There are
several ways to go about it that are all tractable.

-Brett