[Python-Dev] Caching float(0.0)

Alastair Houghton alastair at alastairs-place.net
Wed Oct 4 22:14:49 CEST 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 8:14 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> If it breaks a few systems, that already is some systems too many.
> Python should never crash; and we have no control over the floating
> point exception handling in any portable manner.

You're quite right, though there is already plenty of platform
dependent code in Python for just that purpose (see fpectlmodule.c,
for instance).

Anyway, all I originally wanted was to point out that using division
was one possible way to tell the difference that didn't involve
relying on the representation being IEEE compliant.  It's true that
there are problems with FP exceptions.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--