[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4.4, release candidate 1

Anthony Baxter anthony at python.org
Thu Oct 12 09:33:02 CEST 2006

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community,
I'm happy to announce the release of Python 2.4.4 (release candidate 1).

Python 2.4.4 is a bug-fix release. While Python 2.5 is the latest
version of Python, we're making this release for people who are
still running Python 2.4.

See the release notes at the website (also available as Misc/NEWS in
the source distribution) for details of the more than 80 bugs squished
in this release, including a number found by the Coverity and Klocwork
static analysis tools. We'd like to offer our thanks to both these
companies for making this available for open source projects.

 *  Python 2.4.4 contains a fix for PSF-2006-001, a buffer overrun   *
 *  in repr() of unicode strings in wide unicode (UCS-4) builds.     *
 *  See http://www.python.org/news/security/PSF-2006-001/ for more.  *

Assuming no major problems crop up, a final release of Python 2.4.4 will
follow in about a week's time. This will be the last planned release in
the Python 2.4 series - future maintenance releases will be in the 2.5
line.

For more information on Python 2.4.4, including download links for
various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see:

    http://www.python.org/2.4.4/

Highlights of this new release include:

  - Bug fixes. According to the release notes, at least 80 have been
    fixed.
  - A fix for PSF-2006-001, a bug in repr() for unicode strings
    on UCS-4 (wide unicode) builds.

Highlights of the previous major Python release (2.4) are available
from the Python 2.4 page, at

    http://www.python.org/2.4/highlights.html

Enjoy this release,
Anthony

Anthony Baxter
anthony at python.org
Python Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)