[Python-Dev] Why spawnvp not implemented on Windows?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 13 06:20:44 CEST 2006

Alexey Borzenkov schrieb:
> On 10/13/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> > Umm... do you mean that spawn*p* on python 2.5 is an absolute no?
>> Yes. No new features can be added to Python 2.5.x; Python 2.5 has
>> already been released.
>
> Ugh... that's just not fair. Because of this there will be no spawn*p*
> in python for another two years. x_x

It may be inconvenient, but it is certainly fair: the same rule is
applied to *all* proposed new features. It would be unfair if that
feature was accepted, and other features were rejected.

Please try to see this from "our" view. If new features are added
to a bugfix release (say, 2.5.1), then users (programmers) would
quickly consider Python as unstable, moving target. They would
use the feature, claiming that you need Python 2.5, and not knowing
that it is really 2.5.*1* that you need. Users would try to
run the program, and find out that it doesn't work, and complain
to the author. Unhappy users, unhappy programmers, and unhappy
maintainers (as the programmers would then complain which idiot
allowed that feature in - they do use strong language at times).

It happened once, in 2.2.1 (IIRC) with the introduction of
True and False. It was very painful and lead to a lot of bad
code, and it still hasn't settled.

As you already have a work-around: what is the problem waiting
for 2.6, for you personally?

If you want to see the feature eventually, please do submit
it to sourceforge, anyway.

Regards,
Martin