[Python-Dev] Why spawnvp not implemented on Windows?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Oct 13 13:26:46 CEST 2006

Alexey Borzenkov wrote:

>> any reason you cannot just use the "subprocess" module instead, like
>> everyone else?
>
> Oh! Wow! I just simply didn't know of its existance (I'm pretty much
> new to python), and both distutils and SCons (I was looking inside
> them because they are major build systems and surely had to execute
> compilers somehow), and upon seeing that each of them invented their
> own method of searching path created a delusion as if inventing custom
> workarounds was the only way... Sorry... x_x

no problem.

someone should really update the documentation to make sure that os.spawn
and os.open and commands and popen2 and all the other 80%-solutions at
least point to the subprocess module...

(and if the library reference had been stored in a wiki, I'd fixed that before any-
one else even got this mail...)

</F>