[Python-Dev] Promoting PCbuild8 (Was: Python 2.5 performance)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 17 21:09:03 CEST 2006

Kristján V. Jónsson schrieb:
> Okay, a buildbot then doesn't sound quite that scary.  Any info
> somewhere on how to set one up on a windows box?

Sure. See

http://wiki.python.org/moin/BuildbotOnWindows

Feel free to make changes if you find the instructions need to be
enhanced.

> I Also wasn't suggesting that we change the PCBuild directory, since
> I think we definitely want to keep the old support.

Well, at any point in time, there is one and only one "official"
build procedure, which is the procedure used to make releases. If
VS 2003 is not used anymore, a copy of it is made into PC, and the
existing PCBuild directory is converted to the new procedure (or
some other directory name is invented; that should *not* be
PCbuild8 - we shouldn't have to rename directories each time we
switch the compiler).

> But I agree that
> getting regular builds running would be a good thing.  An x64 box
> would be ideal to build both the x86 and x64 versions on.  A single
> bot can manage many platforms, right?

A single machine, and a single buildbot installation, yes. But not
a single build slave, since there can be only one build procedure
per slave. So if we need different procedures (which we likely do:
how else could it find out which of them it should do?), we would
need two slaves. That should work fine, except that both slaves
will typically start simultaneously on the machine, doubling the
load. It's possible to tell the master not to build different
branches on a single slave (i.e. 2.5 has to wait if trunk is
building), but it's not possible to tell it that two slaves
reside on the same machine (it might be possible, but I don't
know how to do it).

> I would also need to get the _msi and _sqlite3 modules building
> (which I haven't yet, since I didn't get their sources.)

You don't need any additional sources for _msi, and, in fact,
my AMD64 and Itanium installers do provide _msi.pyd binaries.

Regards,
Martin