[Python-Dev] Segfault in python 2.5

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Oct 18 22:08:42 CEST 2006

"Mike Klaas" <mike.klaas at gmail.com> writes:

> [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1579370&group_id=5470&atid=105470]
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm managed to provoke a segfault in python2.5 (occasionally it just a
> "invalid argument to internal function" error).  I've posted a
> traceback and a general idea of what the code consists of in the
> sourceforge entry.

I've been reading the bug report with interest, but unless I can
reproduce it it's mighty hard for me to debug, as I'm sure you know.

> Unfortunately, I've been attempting for hours to
> reduce the problem to a completely self-contained script, but it is
> resisting my efforts due to timing problems.
>
> Should I continue in that vein, or is it more useful to provide more
> detailed results from gdb?

Well, I don't think that there's much point in posting masses of
details from gdb.  You might want to try trying to fix the bug
yourself I guess, trying to figure out where the bad pointers come
from, etc.

Are you absolutely sure that the fault does not lie with any extension
modules you may be using?  Memory scribbling bugs have been known to
cause arbitrarily confusing problems...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I'm not sure that the ability to create routing diagrams
  similar to pretzels with mad cow disease is actually a