[Python-Dev] The "lazy strings" patch

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 24 00:36:33 CEST 2006

Larry Hastings schrieb:
> Am I correct in understanding that changing the Python minor revision
> number (2.5 -> 2.6) requires external modules to recompile?  (It
> certainly does on Windows.)

There is an ongoing debate on that. The original intent was that you
normally *shouldn't* have to recompile modules just because the Python
version changes. Instead, you should do so when PYTHON_API_VERSION
changes. Of course, such a change would also cause a change to
PYTHON_API_VERSION.
Then, even if PYTHON_API_VERSION changes, you aren't *required* to
recompile your extension modules. Instead, you get a warning that the
API version is different and *might* require recompilation: it does
require recompilation if the extension module relies on some of the
changed API.
With this change, people not recompiling their extension modules
would likely see Python crash rather quickly after seeing the warning
about incompatible APIs.

Regards,
Martin