[Python-Dev] The "lazy strings" patch

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Oct 24 11:28:40 CEST 2006

On Oct 24, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Look at packages such as win32, PyObjC, ctypes, bridges between
> Python and other languages, etc. That's where implementors are
> tempted to bend the rules of Official APIs for the benefit of
> serious optimizations.

PyObjC should be safe in this regard, I try to conform to the
official rules :-)

I do use PyString_AS_STRING outside of the GIL in other extensions
though, the lazy strings patch would break that. My code is of course
bending the rules here and can easily be fixed by introducing a
temporary variable.

Ronald