[Python-Dev] PEP 355 status

Talin talin at acm.org
Wed Oct 25 09:50:49 CEST 2006

Scott Dial wrote:
> stephen at xemacs.org wrote:
>> Talin writes:
>>  > (one additional postscript - One thing I would be interested in is
>> an  > approach that unifies file paths and URLs so that there is a
>> consistent  > locator scheme for any resource, whether they be in a
>> filesystem, on a  > web server, or stored in a zip file.)
>>
>> +1
>>
>> But doesn't file:/// do that for files, and couldn't we do something
>> like zipfile:///nantoka.zip#foo/bar/baz.txt?  Of course, we'd want to
>> do ziphttp://your.server.net/kantoka.zip#foo/bar/baz.txt, too.  That
>> way leads to madness....
>>

> It would make more sense to register protocol handlers to this magical
> unification of resource manipulation. But allow me to perform my first
> channeling of Guido.. YAGNI.

I'm thinking that it was a tactical error on my part to throw in the
whole "unified URL / filename namespace" idea, which really has nothing
to do with the topic. Lets drop it, or start another topic, and let this
  thread focus on critiques of the path module, which is probably more
relevant at the moment.

-- Talin