[Python-Dev] DRAFT: python-dev summary for 2006-09-16 to 2006-09-30

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Oct 28 01:50:03 CEST 2006

Steven Bethard schrieb:
> Jack Howarth asked about creating universal binaries for OS X that
> would support 32-bit or 64-bit on both PPC and x86. Ronald Oussoren
> pointed out that the 32-bit part of this was already supported, but
> indicated that adding 64-bit support simultaneously might be more
> difficult. Ronald seemed to think that modifications to pyconfig.h.in
> might solve the problem, though he was worried that this might cause
> distutils to detect some architecture features incorrectly.

Ronald can surely speak for himself, but I think the problem is slightly
different. There were different strategies discussed for changing
pyconfig.h (with an include, or with #ifdefs), and in all cases,
distutils would fail to detect the architecture properly. That's not
really a problem of pyconfig.h, but of the way that distutils uses
to detect bitsizes - which inherently cannot work for universal
binaries (i.e. you should look at the running interpreter, not
at pyconfig.h).

Regards,
Martin