[Python-Dev] PEP: Adding data-type objects to Python

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sat Oct 28 08:49:41 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
>> PEP: <unassigned>
>> Title: Adding data-type objects to the standard library
>
> Not sure about having 3 different ways to specify
> the structure -- it smacks of Too Many Ways To Do
> It to me.

You might be right, but they all have use-cases.  I've actually removed
most of the multiple ways that NumPy allows for creating data-types.

> Also, what if I want to refer to fields by name
> but don't want to have to work out all the offsets

I don't know what you mean.   You just use the list-style to define a
data-format with fields.  The offsets are worked out for you.   The only
use for offsets was the dictionary form.  The dictionary form stems from
a desire to use the fields dictionary of a data-type as a data-type
specification (which it is essentially is).

-Travis