[Python-Dev] Signals, threads, blocking C functions

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 4 20:44:30 CEST 2006

Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:

> Thanks for expounding.  Given that it is basically impossible to do
> anything useful in a signal handler according to the relevant standards
> (does Python's current signal handler even avoid relying on undefined
> behavior?), how would you suggest addressing this issue?

Much as you are doing, and I described, but the first step would be
to find out what 'most' Python people need for signal handling in
threaded programs.  This is because there is an unavoidable conflict
between portability/reliability and functionality.

I would definitely block all signals in threads, except for those that
are likely to be generated ON the thread (SIGFPE etc.)  It is a very
good idea not to touch the handling of several of those, because doing
so can cause chaos.

I would have at least two 'standard' handlers, one of which would simply
set a flag and return, and the other of which would abort.  Now, NEITHER
is a very useful specification, but providing ANY information is risky,
which is why it is critical to know what people need.

I would not TRUST the blocking of signals, so would set up handlers even
when I blocked them, and would do the minimum fiddling in the main
thread compatible with decent functionality.

I would provide a call to test if the signal flag was set, and another
to test and clear it.  This would be callable ONLY from the main thread,
and that would be checked.

It is possible to do better, but that starts needing serious research.

> It seems to me that it is actually possible to do useful things in a
> signal handler, so long as one accepts that doing so is relying on
> platform specific behavior.

Unfortunately, that is wrong.  That was true under MVS and VMS, but
in Unix and Microsoft systems, the problem is that the behaviour is
both platform and circumstance-dependent.  What you can do reliably
depends mostly on what is going on at the time.

For example, on many Unix and Microsoft platforms, signals received
while you are in the middle of certain functions or system calls, or
certain particular signals (often SIGFPE), call the C handler with a
bad set of global pointers or similar.  I believe that this is one of
reasons (perhaps the main one) that some such failures so often cause
debuggers to be unable to find the stack pointer.

I have tracked a few of those down, and have occasionally identified
the cause (and even got it fixed!), but it is a murderous task, and
I know of few other people who have ever succeeded.

> How hard would it be to implement this for the platforms Python supports,
> rather than for a hypothetical standards-exact platform?

I have seen this effect on OSF/1, IRIX, Solaris, Linux and versions
of Microsoft Windows.  I have never used a modern BSD, haven't used
HP-UX since release 9, and haven't used Microsoft systems seriously
in years (though I did hang my new laptop in its GUI fairly easily).

As I say, this isn't so much a platform issue as a circumstance one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679