[Python-Dev] gcc 4.2 exposes signed integer overflows

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 04:25:01 CEST 2006

[Tim Peters]
>> Speaking of which, I saw no feedback on the proposed patch in
>>
>>     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-August/068502.html
>>
>> so I'll just check that in tomorrow.

[Anthony Baxter]
> This should also be backported to release24-maint and release23-maint. Let me
> know if you can't do the backport...

Done in rev 51711 on the 2.5 branch.

Done in rev 51715 on the 2.4 branch.

Done in rev 51716 on the trunk, although in the LONG_MIN way (which is
less obscure, but a more "radical" code change).

I don't care about the 2.3 branch, so leaving that to someone who
does.  Merge rev 51711 from the 2.5 branch.  It will generate a
conflict on Misc/NEWS.  Easiest to revert Misc/NEWS then and just
copy/paste the little blurb from 2.5 news at the appropriate place:

"""
- Overflow checking code in integer division ran afoul of new gcc
  optimizations.  Changed to be more standard-conforming.
"""