[Python-Dev] Cross-platform math functions?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Sep 5 07:03:11 CEST 2006

Tim Peters wrote:
> Package a Python wrapper and see how popular it becomes.  Some reasons
> against trying to standardize on fdlibm were explained here:
>
>    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-July/290164.html

Thanks, these are good points. About speed, do you have any good
benchmarks available? In my experience fdlibm is quite reasonable for
speed in the context of use by dynamic languages (i.e., counting
allocation overheads, lookup and send performance etc) but since I'm not
a Python expert I'd appreciate some help with realistic benchmarks.

> Bottom line is I suspect that when it comes to bit-for-bit
> reproducibility, fewer people care about that x-platform than care
> about it x-language on the box they use.  Nothing wrong with different
> modules for people with different desires.

Agreed. Thus my question if someone had already done this ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas