[Python-Dev] Signals, threads, blocking C functions

Johan Dahlin jdahlin at async.com.br
Tue Sep 5 18:18:20 CEST 2006

Nick Maclaren wrote:
> "Gustavo Carneiro" <gjcarneiro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, I was speaking hypothetically.  I'm pretty sure writing to a
>> pipe is async signal safe.  It is the oldest trick in the book,
>> everyone uses it.  I don't have to see a written signed contract to
>> know that it works.
>
> Ah.  Well, I can assure you that it's not the oldest trick in the book,
> and not everyone uses it.
>
>> This is all the evidence that I need.  And again I reiterate that
>> whether or not async safety can be achieved in practice for all
>> platforms is not Python's problem.
>
> I wish you the joy of trying to report a case where it doesn't work
> to a large vendor and get them to accept that it is a bug.

Are you saying that we should let less commonly used platforms dictate
features and functionality for the popular ones?
I mean, who uses HP/UX, SCO and [insert your favorite flavor] as a modern
desktop system where this particular bug makes a difference?

Can't this just be enabled for platforms where it's known to work and let
Python as it currently is for the users of these legacy systems ?

Johan