[Python-Dev] 2.5 status

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Sep 5 20:25:53 CEST 2006

On 9/4/06, Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are 3 bugs currently listed in PEP 356 as blocking:
>         http://python.org/sf/1551432 - __unicode__ breaks on exception
> classes

I replied on the bug report, but might as well comment here.

The problem with this bug is that BaseException now defines a __unicode__()
method in its PyMethodDef.  That intercepts the unicode() call on the class
and it complains it was not handed an instance.  I guess the only way to fix
this is to toss out the __unicode__() method and change the tp_str function
to return Unicode as needed (unless someone else has a better idea).  Or the
bug can be closed as Won't Fix.

        http://python.org/sf/1550938 - improper exception w/relative import