[Python-Dev] Unicode Imports

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Sep 9 14:33:24 CEST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Nick Coghlan schrieb:
>
>>So this is taking something that *already works properly on POSIX
>>systems* and making it work on Windows as well.
>

> I doubt it does without side effects. For example, an application that
> would go through sys.path, and encode everything with
> sys.getfilesystemencoding() currently works, but will break if the patch
> is applied and non-mbcs strings are put on sys.path.
>
> Also, what will be the effect on __file__? What value will it have
> if the module originates from a sys.path entry that is a non-mbcs
> unicode string? I haven't tested the patch, but it looks like
> __file__ becomes a unicode string on Windows, and remains a byte
> string encoded with the file system encoding elsewhere. That's also
> a change in behavior.

Just to summarise my feeling having read the words of those more
familiar with the issues than me: it looks like this should be a 2.6
enhancement if it's included at all. I'd like to see it go in, but there
do seem to be problems ensuring consistent behaviour across inconsistent
platforms.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119