[Python-Dev] Signals, threads, blocking C functions

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 12 08:35:41 CEST 2006

Adam Olsen wrote:

> That brings you back to how you access the flags variable.

The existing signal handler sets a flag, doesn't it?
So it couldn't be any more broken than the current
implementation.

If we get too paranoid about this, we'll just end
up deciding that signals can't be used for anything,
at all, ever. That doesn't seem very helpful,
although techically I suppose it would solve
the problem. :-)

My own conclusion from all this is that if you
can't rely on writing to a variable in one part
of your program and reading it back in another,
then computer architectures have become far
too clever for their own good. :-(

--
Greg