[Python-Dev] python, lipo and the future?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Sep 17 18:15:22 CEST 2006

On Sep 17, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:

>     I am curious if there are any plans to support
> the functionality provided by lipo on MacOS X to
> create a python release that could operate at either
> 32-bit or 64-bit on Darwin ppc and Darwin intel?

We already support universal binaries for PPC and x86, adding PPC64
and x86-64 to the mix should be relatively straigthforward, but it
isn't a complete no-brainer.

One problem is that python's configure script detects the sizes of
various types and those values will be different on 32-bit and 64-bit
flavours. Another problem is that Tiger's 64-bit support is pretty
limited, basically just the Unix APIs, which means you cannot have a
4-way universal python interpreter without upsetting anyone with a 64-
bit machine :-).

> My
> understanding was that the linux developers are very
> interested in lipo as well as an approach to avoid
> the difficulty of maintaining separate lib directories
> for 32 and 64-bit libraries. Thanks in advance for
> any insights on this issue.

OSX uses the MachO binary format which natively supports fat
binaries, I don't know if ELF (the linux binary format) support fat
binaries.

Ronald