[Python-Dev] python, lipo and the future?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 17 20:56:18 CEST 2006

Ronald Oussoren schrieb:
> The sizes of basic types are the same on PPC32 and x86 which helps a
> lot.

Ah, right. This was the missing piece of the puzzle.

 The byteorder is different, but we can use GCC feature checks
> there. The relevant bit of pyconfig.h.in:
>
> #ifdef __BIG_ENDIAN__
> #define WORDS_BIGENDIAN 1
> #else
> #ifndef __LITTLE_ENDIAN__
> #undef WORDS_BIGENDIAN
> #endif
> #endif

Yes, I remember this change very well.

> One of the announced features of osx 10.5 is 64-bit support throughout
> the system and I definitely want to see if we can get 4-way universal
> support on such systems. As I don't have a system that is capable of
> running 64-bit code  I'm not going to worry too much about this right
> now :-)

Isn't this a size issue, also? There might be very few users of a 64-bit
binary (fewer even on PPC64 than on AMD64).

In addition: how does the system chose whether to create a 32-bit
or a 64-bit process if the python binary is fat?

Regards,
Martin

P.S.: for distutils, I think adding special cases would retrieving
pyconfig.h items would be necessary. In addition, I think Python should
expose some of these in the image, e.g. as
sys.platform_config.SIZEOF_INT.