[Python-Dev] python, lipo and the future?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 17 22:27:42 CEST 2006

Jack Jansen schrieb:
> Just wondering: is it a good idea in the first place to create a
> universal 32/64 bit Python on MacOSX?

I wonder about the same thing.

> For extension modules it's different, though: there it would be nice
> to be able to have a single module that could load into any Python
> (32/64 bit, Intel/PPC) on any applicable MacOSX version.

That seems to suggest that the standard distribution should indeed
provide a four-times fat binary, at least for libpython: AFAIU,
to build extension modules that way, all target architectures must
be supported in all necessary libraries on the build machine (somebody
will surely correct me if that's wrong).

Regards,
Martin