[Python-Dev] Before 2.5 - More signed integer overflows

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Sep 18 06:35:52 CEST 2006

On Saturday 16 September 2006 21:11, Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are more cases of signed integer overflows in the CPython source
> code base...
>
> That's on a 64-bits machine:
>
>     [GCC 4.1.2 20060715 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-9)] on linux2
>     abs(-sys.maxint-1) == -sys.maxint-1

> Humpf!  Looks like one person or two need to do a quick last-minute
> review of all places trying to deal with -sys.maxint-1, and replace them
> all with the "official" fix from Tim [SF 1545668].

Ick. We're now less than 24 hours from the scheduled release date for 2.5
final. There seems to be a couple of approaches here:

1. Someone (it won't be me, I'm flat out with work and paperwriting today)
reviews the code and fixes it
2. We leave it for a 2.5.1. I'm expecting (based on the number of bugs found
and fixed during the release cycle) that we'll probably need a 2.5.1 in about
3 months.
3. We delay the release until it's fixed.

I'm strongly leaning towards (2) at this point. (1) would probably require
another release candidate, while (3) would result in another release
candidate and massive amount of sobbing from a lot of people (including me).