[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.5 (FINAL)

Anthony Baxter anthony at python.org
Tue Sep 19 14:39:48 CEST 2006

It's been nearly 20 months since the last major release
of Python (2.4), and 5 months since the first alpha
release of this cycle, so I'm absolutely thrilled to be
able to say:

    On behalf of the Python development team
    and the Python community, I'm happy to
    announce the FINAL release of Python 2.5.

This is a *production* release of Python 2.5. Yes, that's
right, it's finally here.

Python 2.5 is probably the most significant new release
of Python since 2.2, way back in the dark ages of 2001.
There's been a wide variety of changes and additions,
both user-visible and underneath the hood. In addition,
we've switched to SVN for development and now use Buildbot
to do continuous testing of the Python codebase.

Much more information (as well as source distributions
and Windows and Universal Mac OSX installers) are available
from the 2.5 website:

    http://www.python.org/2.5/

The new features in Python 2.5 are described in Andrew
Kuchling's What's New In Python 2.5. It's available
from the 2.5 web page.

Amongst the new features of Python 2.5 are conditional
expressions, the with statement, the merge of try/except
and try/finally into try/except/finally, enhancements
to generators to produce coroutine functionality, and
a brand new AST-based compiler implementation underneath
the hood. There's a variety of smaller new features as
well.

New to the standard library are hashlib, ElementTree,
sqlite3, wsgiref, uuid and ctypes. As well, a new
higher-performance profiling module (cProfile) was
added.

Extra-special thanks on behalf of the entire Python
community should go out to Neal Norwitz, who's done
absolutely sterling work in shepherding Python 2.5
through to it's final release.

Enjoy this new release, (and Woo-HOO! It's done!)
Anthony

Anthony Baxter
anthony at python.org
Python Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)