[Python-Dev] IronPython and AST branch

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 13:10:24 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 9/17/06, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One of the biggest issues I have with the current AST is that I don't
>> believe
>> it really gets the "slice" and "extended slice" terminology correct
>> (it uses
>> 'extended slice' to refer to multi-dimensional indexing, but the normal
>> meaning of that phrase is to refer to the use of a step argument for a
>> slice [1])
>
> The two were introduced together and were referred to together as
> "extended slicing" at the time, so I'm not sure who is confused.

Ah, that would explain it then - I first encountered the phrase 'extended
slicing' in the context of the Python 2.3 additions to the builtin types, so I
didn't realise it referred to all __getitem__ based non-mapping lookups,
rather than just the start:stop:step form of slicing.

Given that additional bit of history, I don't think changing the name of the
AST node is worth the hassle - I'll just have to recalibrate my brain :)

Cheers,
Nick.