[Python-Dev] New relative import issue

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 23:39:05 CEST 2006

On 9/21/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> >Isn't the main problem how to specify a bunch of these in the
> >environment?
> Yes, that's exactly the problem, assuming that by environment you mean the
> operating environment, as opposed to e.g. os.environ.

Hmm, now I don't understand again. What "operating environment" might
there be, other than

- os.environ
- code that gets executed before the import

There are clearly application design issues involved here (application
configuration via initialisation files, plugin registries, etc etc).
But in purely technical terms, don't they all boil down to executing a
registration function (either directly by the user, or by the
application on behalf of the user)?

I don't think I'd expect anything at the language (or base library)
level beyond a registration function and possibly an OS environment