[Python-Dev] New relative import issue

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Sep 21 23:55:52 CEST 2006

> On 9/21/06, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > Hmm, I might play with this - a set of PEP 302 importers to completely
> > customise the import mechanism. The never-completed "phase 2" of the
> > PEP included a reimplementation of the built in import mechanism as
> > hooks. Is there any interest in this actually happening? I've been
> > looking for an interesting coding project for a while (although I
> > never have any free time...)
>
> There's a general desire to reimplement import entirely in Python for
> more flexibility. I believe Brett Cannon is working on this.

Since I need to control imports to the point of being able to deny importing
built-in and extension modules, I was planning on re-implementing the import
system to use PEP 302 importers.  Possibly do it in pure Python for
ease-of-use.  Then that can be worked off of for possible Py3K improvements
to the import system.

But either way I will be messing with the import system in the relatively
near future.  If you want to help, Paul (or anyone else), just send me an
email and we can try to coordinate something (plan to do the work in the
sandbox as a separate thing from my security stuff).

-Brett