[Python-Dev] test_itertools fails for trunk on x86 OS X machine

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Sep 22 06:09:41 CEST 2006

Jack Diederich schrieb:
> Faced with the choice of believing in a really strange platform specific
> bug in a commonly used routine that resulted in exactly the failure caused
> by one of the two files being updated or believing a failure occurred in the
> long chain of networks, disks, file systems, build tools, and operating
> systems that would result in only one of the files being updated -
> I went with the latter.

Please reconsider how subversion works. It has the notion of atomic
commits, so you either get the entire change, or none at all.

Fortunately, the buildbot keeps logs of everything it does:

http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/trunk/g4%20osx.4%20trunk/builds/1449/step-svn/0

shows

U    Lib/test/test_itertools.py
U    Modules/itertoolsmodule.c
Updated to revision 51950.

So it said it updated both files. But perhaps it didn't build them?
Let's check:

http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/trunk/g4%20osx.4%20trunk/builds/1449/step-compile/0

has this:

building 'itertools' extension

gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp
-mno-fused-madd -g -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
-I/Users/buildslave/bb/trunk.psf-g4/build/./Include
-I/Users/buildslave/bb/trunk.psf-g4/build/./Mac/Include -I./Include -I.
-I/usr/local/include -I/Users/buildslave/bb/trunk.psf-g4/build/Include
-I/Users/buildslave/bb/trunk.psf-g4/build -c
/Users/buildslave/bb/trunk.psf-g4/build/Modules/itertoolsmodule.c -o
build/temp.macosx-10.3-ppc-2.6/Users/buildslave/bb/trunk.psf-g4/build/Modules/itertoolsmodule.o

gcc -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup
build/temp.macosx-10.3-ppc-2.6/Users/buildslave/bb/trunk.psf-g4/build/Modules/itertoolsmodule.o
-L/usr/local/lib -o build/lib.macosx-10.3-ppc-2.6/itertools.so

So itertools.so is regenerated, as it should; qed.

Regards,
Martin