[Python-Dev] Suggestion for a new built-in - flatten

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Fri Sep 22 20:57:10 CEST 2006

Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a suggestion for a new Python built in function: 'flatten'.

This has been brought up many times.  I'm -1 on its inclusion, if only
because it's a fairly simple 9-line function (at least the trivial
version I came up with), and not all X-line functions should be in the
standard library.  Also, while I have had need for such a function in
the past, I have found that I haven't needed it in a few years.

 - Josiah