[Python-Dev] Pep 353: Py_ssize_t advice

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 23 07:27:20 CEST 2006

David Abrahams schrieb:
> b. We were using C++, which IIRC does not allow such redefinition

You remember incorrectly. 16.3/2 (cpp.replace) says

# An identifier currently defined as a macro without use of lparen (an
# object-like macro) may be redefined by another #define preprocessing
# directive provided that the second definition is an object-like macro
# definition and the two replacement lists are identical, otherwise the
# program is ill-formed.

> c. anyway you'll get a nasty warning, which for some people will be
> just as bad as an error

Try for yourself. You get the warning only if the redefinition is not
identical to the original definition (or an object-like macro is
redefined as a function-like macro or vice versa).

Regards,
Martin