[Python-Dev] weakref enhancements

tomer filiba tomerfiliba at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:33:35 CEST 2006

this may still be premature, but i see people misunderstood the purpose.

weakattrs are not likely to be used "externally", out of the scope of
the object.
they are just meant to provide an easy to use means for not holding cyclic
references between parents and children.

many graph-like structures, i.e., rpyc's node and proxies, are interconnected
in both ways, and weakattrs help to solve that: i don't want a proxy of a node
to keep the node alive.

weakmethods are used very similarly. nodes have a method called
"getmodule", that performs remote importing of modules. i expose these
modules as a namespace object, so you could do:
>>> mynode.modules.sys
or
>>> mynode.modules.xml.dom.minidom.parseString
instead of
>>> mynode.getmodule("xml.dom.minidom").parseString

here's a sketch:

def ModuleNamespace:
    def __init__(self, importerfunc):
        self.importerfunc = importerfunc

class Node:
    def __init__(self, stream):
        self.modules = ModuleNamespace(self.getmodule)

    @ weakmethod
    def getmodule(self, name):

i define this getmodule method as a *weakmethod*, so the mere existence
of the ModuleNamespace instance will not keep the node alive. when the
node loses all external references, the ModuleNamespace should just
"commit suicide", and allow the node to be reclaimed.

yes, you can do all of these with today's weakref, but it takes quite
a lot of hassle to manually set up weakproxies every time.

-tomer