[Python-Dev] A Survey on Defect Management Practices in Free/Open Source Software

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Apr 4 15:57:52 CEST 2007

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 04:07:18PM +1000, Anthony Baxter wrote:
>> This one was at least personally addressed
>> (well, to "Python Contributors"), which is a step ahead of most of
>> them.
>
> What gets me is that such surveys are invalid because the respondents
> aren't randomly selected -- they're the people who care enough to
> answer.

Or the people who are getting so pissed off with these surveys that they
are willing to spend the time to mess up the results.

   It would be more efficient and reliable to just go look at a
> sampling of project web sites and look at their bug trackers, but that
> requires effort from the student.

I remember those days ...

> Recently I was interviewing a student who worked on a project that had
> instrumented an IDE to record every operation (editing, saving, etc.)
> in a database.  I asked "so what did you learn from this data?", and
> was told that no one has analyzed it; they're just *accumulating* the
> data.  It's stamp collecting as computer science.
>
> --amk, who save his files every 87.4 seconds and types a character
>        every 2.3sec.

-- steve, who hits backspace every 1.6 seconds and still makes
           loads of typos
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden