[Python-Dev] Some new additions to functools

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sun Apr 15 20:10:29 CEST 2007

SevenInchBread <adamadamadamamiadam at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I've cooked up some very simple functions to add to functools - to expand
> it into a more general-purpose module.
[snip]

I don't use a functional approach very often, but I haven't ever had a
case where I would want or need to use any of the functions you provide.
Does anyone else think that any or all of these would be useful?

> A better place to put some of these functions might be __builtin__, so you
> don't have to waste time importing something as basic as cat.

We do not arbitrarily add functions to builtins.  The general approach
that most people have is to *reduce* the number of builtins, not
increase them.

Generally, -.5 on the functions/objects you provide (I haven't used them,
but I'm reserving a -1 or -0 for if people have other opinions).  -1000
on adding them to the builtins.

 - Josiah