[Python-Dev] Tweaking the stdlib test infrastructure

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:36:29 CEST 2007

On 4/24/07, glyph at divmod.com <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
> On 12:39 am, collinw at gmail.com wrote:
> >Fast and simple: I want all stdlib test cases to stop subclassing
> >unittest.TestCase and start subclassing test_support.TestCase.
>
> >So: any objections to making this change?
>
> Not an objection so much as a question - if these feature additions are
> generally interesting (and the ones you mentioned sounded like they are) why
> not simply add them to unittest.TestCase itself?  After all, that is in the
> stdlib itself already.

Because something like per-test refleak checking is completely useless
when testing pure-python code. More generally, because not everything
that will be useful for the stdlib's test suite will be useful to
every single third-party test suite. It's also an issue of support: I
want the freedom to add functionality to the stdlib's test suite
without worrying about the impact on third-party unittest code.

Collin Winter