[Python-Dev] New Super PEP

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 06:38:29 CEST 2007

On 4/28/07, Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Comments welcome, of course. Bare with my first attempt at crafting a PEP.
>
> PEP: XXX
> Title: Super As A Keyword
> Version: $Revision$
> Last-Modified: $Date$
> Author: Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com>
> Created: 30-Apr-2007
> Python-Version: 2.6
[snip]
> Which means the backward compatible API, which involves instansiating the super
> type, will either not be possible, because it will actually do a super lookup
> on the __call__ attribute, or there will be no way to perform a super lookup on
> the __call__ attribute. Both seem unacceptable, so any suggestions are welcome.

You're offering absolutely zero backwards compatibility and you're
targeting 2.6? Um, no; absolutely not. Even if you intend this for
3.0, you'll still need to define either a backwards compatibility
solution or a migration strategy (e.g., a 2to3 fixer). Without a
clear-cut way of addressing existing code, this idea is toast.

Collin Winter