[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Pre-pre PEP for 'super' keyword

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Apr 30 03:19:20 CEST 2007

On 4/29/07, Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi-python-dev at mithrandi.za.net> wrote:
> * Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> [2007-04-29 16:30:18 -0700]:
>
> > On 4/29/07, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So it is a "keyword" in the sense that None is a keyword; not in the
> > > stronger sense that "if" is a keyword?
> >
> > Um, how do you see those two differ? Is 'if' a keyword in the same
> > sense as 'or', or in a different sense?
>
> In my mind, 'if' and 'or' are "syntax", whereas things like 'None' or
> 'True' are "values"; even if None becomes an actual keyword, rather than
> a builtin.

I'm sorry, but that is such an incredibly subjective difference that I
can't do anything with it. String literals and numeric literals are
syntax too, even though they are values. A keyword, or reserved word,
is simply something that looks like an identifier but is converted
into a different token (by the lexer or by something sitting between
the lexer and the parse) before the parser sees it.

Also note that null is a keyword in Java.