[Python-Dev] RFC - proposal for urilib. unified module of urlparse, urllib and urllib2

Facundo Batista facundobatista at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:52:08 CEST 2007

2007/8/19, O.R.Senthil Kumaran <orsenthil at users.sourceforge.net>:

> I am drafting a PEP proposing a module 'urilib', which will be the unified module of urlparse, urllib and urllib2.

Great!!

> a) _all_ functions will include from urlparse,urllib and urllib2.
> b) overlapping functionality between urllib and urllib2 to be ironed out.
> c) RFC3986 and RFC3987 compliant.

Seems good to me. Maybe something from cgi? I always use
cgi.parse_qs() when using urrlib2... Something about this arised in
other thread...

> I would like to know your thoughts on
> - How should we plan to maintain the backward compatiblity?
> - What other features should be kept in mind while designing?

First of all you should draft the PEP, send it here, and put it
somewhere in the web. Then the community could help you to shape it
and get a final proposal.

If too many problems regardgin compatibility arises, you always can
implement it in Py3k...

Regards,

--
.    Facundo