[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Documentation switch imminent

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Aug 21 15:42:57 CEST 2007

Paul Moore schrieb:
> On 21/08/07, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:
>>

>> On 8/14/07, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>> > Now that the converted documentation is fairly bug-free, I want to
>> > make the switch.
>>
>> One thing I miss (and I haven't followed the discussions about the new
>> layout at all, so I don't know if it came up already) is section numbers.
>
> On a partly related note, I am assuming that the Windows Python
> installer will come with the documentation in .chm (HTML Help) format,
> as previously. It would be nice to see a preview version of this, as
> I'm not 100% clear how the new section layout maps into the HTML Help
> contents pane (as a specific example, the new "Built In Types" section
> of the library reference is a single page - does this imply that the
> HTML help won't have any subsections? I often use the HTML Help
> contents pane to drill all the way down to (for example) section 3.6.1
> "String Methods" and click to get directly to that section.

I wasn't sure how I had implemented the contents pane, so I've now created
a HTML help version ("make htmlhelp" in python/Doc already does that;
you only need to run HTML Help Workshop over it), and the "String Methods"
indeed have their own contents tree item.

I put the CHM at <http://www.python.org/~gbrandl/pydoc.chm>, if you want
to have a look.

Georg