[Python-Dev] Non-string keys in namespace dicts

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Dec 3 03:28:18 CET 2007

Yes.  See http://pypi.python.org/pypi/AddOns

>  I'm asking because I'm
>planning on accelerating method lookups next, and the possibility of a
>key compare changing the underlying dict could be a major pain. (It was
>a minor pain for globals.)

For what it's worth, the AddOns package recommends the use of
instances of built-in types (or tuples thereof) as add-on keys, so
they would not have that problem in normal use.

I don't see a problem with requiring dictionary key comparisons to be
side-effect-free - even in the general case of dictionaries, not just
namespace ones.