[Python-Dev] Does anyone care enough about asyncore and asynchat to help adapt their APIs for Py3k?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 5 18:19:27 CET 2007

The asyncore and asynchat modules are in a difficult position when it
comes to Python 3000. None of the core developers use it or
particularly care about it (AFAIK), and the API has problems because
it wasn't written to deal with bytes vs. unicode. E.g. in
http://bugs.python.org/issue1067, Thomas suggests that these modules
need to be rewritten to use bytes internally and have separate APIs to
handle (unicode) text as desired, similar to the way file I/O was
redesigned. Another alternative would be to make these modules deal
strictly in bytes, but that would probably vastly reduce their
usefulness (though I don't know -- as I said, I don't use them).