[Python-Dev] Fate of Windows build directories

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Dec 31 14:03:47 CET 2007

Good afternoon fellow developers!

We have finished the support for VS 2008 more or less successfully.
Python 3.0a2 was build with VS 2008 and shipped out without major
issues. The Tcl/Tk 8.5 problem was solved by Amaury and Martin is
working on the integration of the C runtime library.

What should happen to the other build directories?

PC/VS6/
  build dir for Visual Studio 6. It's no longer maintained
  and probably doesn't work at all. I like to remove it.

PC/bdist_wininst/
  The README contains only XXX comments and the project files
  must be ported to VS 2005 and VS 2008. I guess the directory
  contains the executable for distutils' bdist_wininst.

PC/example_nt/
  Example project and C files for VS 2003. Needs an update or remove it.

PC/os2*/
  OS2 build dirs. The files are no longer maintained.

PCbuild/
  Build dir for VS 2003. Keep it or remove it? I'm +1 for removal
  from 3.0 and +0 for remove from 2.6.

PCBuild8/
  Build dir for VS 2005. This directory is a nested directory
  structure and it doesn't integrate all pre-build steps. The user
  weck has developed a small Python script to back port the PCbuild9
  directory to PCbuild8 (http://bugs.python.org/issue1455). The
  script would make maintenance of the PCbuild8 directory easier.

PCbuild9/
  The new build dir for VS 2008.

Christian