[Python-Dev] Adding timeout option to httplib...connect()

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Feb 9 22:06:06 CET 2007

    Guido> Didn't work for me, since my ap is a multi-threaded webserver and
    Guido> I only want one specific type of request to time out.

Understood.

    Guido> I'm not going to change ftplib.py and all the others.

Also understood.  This has, as far as I know, been the response of everybody
who has encountered this problem before.  Most people are only interested in
a single protocol (or module) and therefore aren't motivated to change/fix
the other protocols which could benefit from timeouts.  After all, who
really wants to update gopherlib?  So there is sits.

    Guido> I do think it's relevant to decide whether the timeout should be
    Guido> passed to the constructor or to the connect() method. I think it
    Guido> may be better to pass the timeout to the constructor.

Another thing to consider is how this change might percolate up to
urllib/urllib2.  (I advocate leaving urllib alone, but urllib2 should
probably grow a timeout feature.)

Skip