[Python-Dev] Trial balloon: microthreads library in stdlib

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 18:36:55 CET 2007

On 2/12/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Armin Rigo schrieb:
> > The history as I remember it is that Christian tried hard to integrate
> > the first versions of Stackless with CPython, but was turned town by
> > python-dev.
>
> Are there public records of that? As I remember it, Christian never
> actually submitted a patch for inclusion (at least not in public;
> he may have approached Guido in private). The oldest discussion
> I could find quickly is from August 2000 (Python 2.0 and Stackless);
> there, it was Ben Wolfson who asked whether it could be integrated.
> I also found a message where I said that it couldn't be integrated
> as-is, for a number of reasons I listed; I didn't mean to imply
> that it can never be integrated.

I can't point you to the posts, but I can point you to something
Christian has written on the subject which may indicate why
it was never actually submitted for inclusion.

See "A Bit Of History"
http://svn.python.org/view/stackless/trunk/Stackless/readme.txt

I have not talked to Christian about it but as the current maintainer
of Stackless I was under the impression that there was a complete
lack of interest in even considering it for integration.

If addition of microthreading is being considered please consider
Stackless.  One reason why Stackless is not so popular is that
as a fork people shy away from it because it is not the main
version.  It would benefit Stackless to be integrated and I would
be willing to do any work involved to either integrate or maintain
it afterwards.

Cheers,
Richard.