[Python-Dev] Summary of "dynamic attribute access" discussion

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Tue Feb 13 18:45:21 CET 2007

Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:
> > The performance question is important, certainly.  Initial
> > reaction on python-ideas was that a 1% cost would not count as
> > substantial
>
> I'd disagree. Those 1% losses add up, and it takes a heck of a lot
> of work to claw them back. Again, this is through my filter
> of "marginal value".

When speed loss was discussed, I was the one who stated that 1% wasn't
substantial.  Why?  I've found variations of up to 3% in benchark times
that seemed to be based on whether I was drinking juice or eating a
scone while working.  One percent is likely noise, in my experience, and
the *speed* of Python has tended to gain double-digit percentage
increases in the last few releases.

 - Josiah