[Python-Dev] Summary of "dynamic attribute access" discussion

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Tue Feb 13 20:39:36 CET 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Ron Adam schrieb:
>> Would it be possible for attrview to be a property?
>
> Sure. It might conflict with a proper name of an attribute, of course.
>
>> Something like...  (Probably needs more than this to handle all cases.)
>>
>>      class obj(object):
>>          def _attrview(self):
>>              return self.__dict__
>>          attr = property(_attrview)
>
> That wouldn't work: you really need to invoke the entire attribute
> lookup machinery (e.g. to find methods, invoke properties, and so
> on). Also, for 2.6, it wouldn't support old-style classes.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Yes, I thought that might be a problem.

So I guess I'm for the shortened version which wouldn't conflict with a property
and could be made to work in more cases.

     +1   obj.[foo]

I don't care for the longer attrview() as it adds another level of indirectness.
  I feel that is a counter solution to the point of the suggested syntax.

Ron