[Python-Dev] Trial balloon: microthreads library in stdlib

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi-python-dev at mithrandi.za.net
Wed Feb 14 18:10:06 CET 2007

* Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> [2007-02-14 16:49:03 +0000]:

> I am not writing a competing event driven mechanism.  What I was doing
> was feeling out whether there was any interest in better support for
> asynchronous calls.

I interpreted your suggestions as being about enhancing asyncore with
IOCP (or similar); sure, asyncore is already a "competing" event driven
mechanism, but for all intents and purposes it is "dead" as there is not
much in the way of active development on it, and a relatively small
remaining user base. You seemed to be suggesting that asyncore be
revived by extending the implementation, as well as sprinkling some
generator / tasklets / channels / etc. sugar on top of it.

> But I hope you realise that asserting that things should be within
> Twisted without giving any reason, especially when the first person
> saying it just stated that the matching work in Twisted wasn't even
> ready, feels like Twisted is trying to push itself forward by bullying
> people to work within it whenever something can be asserted as
> laying within whatever domain it is which Twisted covers.

I don't really think it's "bullying" to suggest that improving Twisted,
rather than reimplementing Twisted's core with a brand new
implementation slapped straight into the Python stdlib, is
counterproductive.

> Even if it doesn't suit their needs.  I don't think Tristan intended
> that, but when followed up with your reply and JP's interesting
> response to Greg, it feels like it.

The gist of my message was "Instead of reimplementing the Twisted
reactor, probably poorly, just use Twisted", based on my understanding
of what your suggestion was.