[Python-Dev] Trial balloon: microthreads library in stdlib

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Feb 15 01:29:07 CET 2007

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:

> Greg, productive discussion is not furthered by the
> unsupported statement of one position or another.

Sorry, I'll expand on that a bit. The "problem" I
was referring to is the turf wars between all the
event-driven frameworks that all want to do things
their own way. Solving that is going to require
them to give up control and be willing to agree
on a standard.

It seems reasonable to consider making a suitably
enhanced version of asyncore the standard, because
it's small and it's already in the stdlib.

Someone seemed to be claiming that it would be too
hard to rework Twisted's event loop to use anything
else, so we had better just use Twisted instead of
asyncore, which sounded like a turf-war kind of
statement. (That's what I meant by "part of the
problem" -- I should really have said it's an
*example* of the problem.)

 From a later post, it seems the main concern is that
expanding asyncore to the point where it could support
Twisted would involve reinventing most of Twisted's
event loop implementation. That's a reasonable point
to make, and I don't see anything wrong with examining
Twisted's implementation to see what can be used.

Whether to adopt Twisted's *API* is a separate
issue, though (see next post).

--
Greg