[Python-Dev] microthreading vs. async io

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Feb 15 18:10:25 CET 2007

At 11:47 AM 2/15/2007 -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>Is the only problem here that this style of development hasn't had been made
>visible enough?

You betcha.  I sure as heck wouldn't have bothered writing the module I
did, if I'd known it already existed.  Or at least only written whatever
parts that the module doesn't do.  The Twisted used by the current version
of Chandler doesn't include this feature yet, though, AFAICT.

But this is excellent; it means people will be able to write plugins that
do network I/O without needing to grok CPS.  They'll still need to be able
to grok some basics (like not blocking the reactor), but this is good to
know about.  Now I won't have to actually test that module I wrote.  ;-)

You guys should be trumpeting this - it's real news and in fact a motivator
for people to upgrade to Python 2.5 and whatever version of Twisted
supports this.  You just lifted a *major* barrier to using Twisted for
client-oriented tasks, although I imagine there probably needs to be even
more of it.