[Python-Dev] Py2.6 ideas

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Feb 16 00:03:32 CET 2007

On 2/15/07, Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger at verizon.net> wrote:
> * Add a pure python named_tuple class to the collections module.  I've been
> using the class for about a year and found that it greatly improves the
> usability of tuples as records.
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/500261

Hm, but why would they still have to be tuples? Why not just have a
generic 'record' class?

> * Give builtin types a __name__ attribute so that we have a uniform way of
> accessing type names.

This already exists, unless I misunderstand you:

Python 2.2.3+ (#94, Jun  4 2003, 08:24:18)
[GCC 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-113)] on linux2
>>> int.__name__
'int'

> * Enhance doctest with a method that computes updated doctest results.  If the
> only change I make to a matrix suite is to add commas to long numbers in the
> matrix repr(), then it would be nice to have an automated way to update the
> matrix output on all the other test cases in the module.

What I could have used for Py3k (specifically for the 2to3
transformer): mods to the DocTestParser class that allow you to
exactly reproduce the input string from the return value of parse().

Unrelated, I'd like the tokenize module to be more easily extensible.
E.g. I'd like to add new tokens, and I'd like to be able to change its
whitespace handling.