[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r53860 - peps/trunk/pep-0000.txt peps/trunk/pep-0358.txt

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Feb 23 04:33:54 CET 2007

> > +        rpartition
> > +        split
> > +        startswith
> > +        rfind
> > +        rindex
> > +        rsplit
> > +        translate
>
> What sort of arguments do they take?

You should be able to infer this from what the corresponding str or
list methods do -- always substituting bytes for those, and int for
the single element.

> Other bytes objects?  (Then the literal is more important.)
>
> Unicode?  With an extra decoding argument?

The only way to use unicode is to use bytes(<unicode>, <encoding>).
The others methods barf on Unicode.

> Sequences of integers?  Is startswith(500) False or a ValueException?

TypeError.

> Single integers? startswith(ord('A'))

TypeError (this is the same as the previous.)

> +    Note the conspicuous absence of .isupper(), .upper(), and friends.
>
> This does force the use of more regular expressions, by ruling out
>
> data.upper().startswith("ERROR:")

Yeah, over dinner we started leaning towards perhaps supporting at
least lower() and upper() (but acting only on the 2x26 ASCII letters).